Working as the Lead Official
By Clarence Woody, Clinician
- Know primary coverage area and responsibilities.
- Close down as ball dictates.
- Handle throw-ins only on the endline.
- Work hard to protect the trail and center's front side.
- Officiate illegal screens.
- Officiate cutters and screeners.
- Officiate matchups off ball.
- Officiate over the back on your side only.
- Look to rotate.
- When rotating, don't officiate blindly.
- Rotate before a scoring play is in progress.
- Don't rotate on drives to the basket.
- Have shoulders parallel to your line of coverage to open a wide window.
- Look back over your shoulder moving down the court. Don't look ahead of you at the wall.